One theme that stood out to me, throughout the play, was
selfishness. Nora showed a selfish side when Mrs. Linde (Kristine) visited. Kristine
was telling Nora about how she is a widow, who is sad she never had children,
and is currently struggling to make ends meet; and even in Kristine’s state,
Nora cannot help but tell Kristine about how happy she is. During this
conversation, Nora says a line that reads ironically; “No, you begin. Today I
don’t want to be selfish. I want to think only of you today. But there is
something I must tell you. Did you hear the wonderful luck we had recently?” (page
689). Then, Nora goes on to tell Kristine about how great her new life will be
now that her husband is a bank manager.
Helmer (Torvald) shows selfishness as he learns that Nora
had forged her father’s signature to take out a loan. Instead of thinking about
Nora’s intentions to do anything she can to save Torvald’s life, he can only respond
harshly saying, “now you’ve wrecked all my happiness—ruined my whole future”
(page 710). This is an incredulous statement considering his future would not
exist if she would not have borrowed the money that enabled her to save his
life. We also observe a selfish thought from Torvald, when he finds out that
Dr. Rank is dying, he says that perhaps it is for the best; as now Nora and
Torvald will need to depend on each other for care and support. I understand he
is trying to “look at the bright side”, but I think this time could be better
served to simply honor and reflect on the life of his “dear friend”.
There was also a theme of secrets and the revealing of
secrets. We find out quickly that Nora has been keeping a secret from her own
husband, which is not officially revealed until the story reaches its climax. This
is the same secret that Krogstad is eager to reveal in hopes that the
information will help him keep his position at the bank. I think this secret
adds to the suspense as we anticipate how Torvald will respond to this
information. We also find that Dr. Rank is harboring two secrets of his own; he
is deathly ill, and he has grown affectionate for Nora. This adds a small twist to the story, and by the responses of the characters, we can continue to understand the characters. For instance, as we see that Nora is appalled by Dr. Rank's profession of love, we see a small amount of depth to her character as she carries, at least some, integrity.
I could see this play being fairly easy to execute, simply
because there are no extravagant scenes. However, the toughest part for the
actors, would be the large amounts of dialogue they would need to memorize. I
could potentially see it being important for Nora and Torvald to have
chemistry, because the characters use so many pet names for each other, which
could often be difficult to deliver naturally. Other than that, the play mostly
boils down to the acting and exchanges between characters.
Hi Tyler, I think your themes are on point. There is a ton of selfishness going on in this play. I think they tried to disguise some of selfishness throughout the play with Torvalds pet names and etc. But the theme was clear and in your face.
ReplyDeleteI kind of dealt that Nora kind of flirted with Dr.Rank when he proclaimed his love, maybe I read into it different but when she said for him to imagine she was dancing just for him and her husband it seemed a little flirty to me.
I think that secrets maybe the theme of life at times and not just this play. So many things in our lives our kept secret, from our government to the food we eat so it seems only naturally that secrets are displayed in our art forms because they reflect our lives. I think iif the people in this play were honest to each other that poor Nora would have had a better outcome than what she chose.
Interesting point, I never really considered that aspect of it. It makes perfect sense when you take in the ending where Nora leaves her children and Torvald. Torvald is clearly selfish as well, but Nora, in the act of leaving him, also abandons her children in the act of leaving Torvald.
ReplyDeleteI think you're right Tyler; there definitely seemed to be a quick/rash decision made to end the marriage with little thought to how it would effect the children (another act of selfishness). I see Quisha's point when she says, "I think they tried to disguise some of the selfishness throughout the play with Torvald's pet names". Instead of resolving issues, he would passive aggressively tell her how he felt, then call her a cutesy name as if there was zero hostility. It seemed as though their marriage had no depth, almost as if everything in their lives had been easy up until now; like they never had to fight for anything.
DeleteThank you for the responses!